Frequently Asked Questions
So why would we need your support?
Well, think about it. Every great performer, athlete or business ‘high-flyer’ will have at least one Mentor, Advisor or Coach. People such as Richard Branson, Serena Williams, Bill Gates, or even Brad Pitt will be surrounded by them. So why is this? Well, simply because they want to be the best at what they do and are wise enough to accept that they don’t have all the answers.
As the world gets smaller it becomes increasingly difficult to stay competitive and remain ‘ahead of the game’. This may include areas such as management and leadership, sales and marketing, team building and operations for example. Hence, if you wish to perform at your best, external support and outsourcing is no longer a luxury – it’s become a necessity.
You cannot get a truly objective answer from yourself and I can’t emphasise how important an outside perspective on your organisation is. Finally, who’s holding you accountable to undertake what you need to do to get to where you want to be?
“Many people can survive in business without external assistance, but it’s almost impossible to thrive”
OK, and why should we work with you?
- I’ve bought, setup, developed and sold businesses for over 20 years and have the experience that comes with it. So, I don’t just rely on idealistic theory that may have come from a classroom or franchise – I’ve been there and have the scars to proove it! You can’t seem to go anywhere nowadays without bumping into a Business Advisor, Coach or Consultant, but the majority do not have similar experience.
- I have worked with start-ups through to large family businesses and subsidiaries of international groups and PLCs. This has given me a breadth of experience I will share with you.
- I have been a Business Advisor, Coach and Consultant around the globe since the late 1990’s. This includes volunteer roles in schools, colleges and other non-profit organisations.
- I’ll only work with you if I’m as certain as I can be that we’ll get results. If I don’t feel I can add sufficient value or I’m not the right person then I’ll tell you. It’s WIN:WIN or no deal.
- Unless you require one I don’t use contracts because I feel they shouldn’t be necessary. If we’re both seeing value we work together, if for whatever reason we’re not then we part as friends.
Who do you work with?
- The majority of my clients are already successful. However, they understand that we all continuously learn and that an outside perspective combined with accountability will add value and get results much faster than they possibly could on their own.
- It’s important to me to have great relationships with my clients. Hence, I work best with motivated people with similar values who want to thrive, improve and put the fun back into what they do.
- Whilst I’m happy to speak to anyone, I wouldn’t normally work with self-employed people or very small operations. Unless they have ambitious plans for growth of course!
- Please note though that I do not work with everyone I’m introduced to. If I do not feel we’re compatible or that I’m able to assist, I will tell you and politely withdraw.
And what areas can you help us with?
Well pretty much all areas involved in growing and improving your business and developing yourself and your team. The following are key areas, however the emphasis will depend on you, your business, and of course, your objectives:
- Planning: Without direction and vision you are bobbing around in the ocean praying the winds and tides will get you where you want to be. This is not a strategy!
- Leadership: A company must be led from the front hence a strong leader guiding the organisation and overseeing change and improvement is essential.
- Management: Management is a sizeable topic. Common areas include: company structure, performance management and communication.
- Team Building and Engagement: Most businesses are way too quick to hire….and painfully slow to fire. We’ll recruit the right team members and ensure they’re fully engaged, sitting in the right seats, have direction and are motivated.
- Operations: Robust systems are essential for growth and you pay your team to run your systems. Weak or non-existent systems cause havoc with the smooth-running of your operation and WILL cause frustration and conflict. End the hopeless cycle of ‘the business running you’ and retake control.
- Marketing: If you want to make a sale, you’ve first got to find prospects. So, what’s your strategy?
- Sales: The backbone and lifeblood for creating and growing a profitable business. It’s an area I can help you get compounding results in.
- Customer Service and Product Delivery: Consistency is key. We’ll look at how you deliver your product or service, making it easy for your customers to buy and turn them into raving fans!
Sounds good but how much will this cost?
As no two organisations are the same it is fairly difficult to answer. It very much depends on what’s best for you and the outcomes you desire. However, it’s really important to understand that any external assistance you engage, whether a Business Advisor or a web designer, should always be looked upon as an investment. This then comes down to your perspective. Very broadly you should expect to pay similar fees for an Advisor, Coach or Consultant as you would any other professional e.g. an accountant.
Training, coaching or any new learning is a true investment in you, your team and your organisation’s future. Not only will you begin to create great results in your business and have a happier and more engaged team, you’ll inevitably learn many things that you can go on to use over and over again in other ventures. Of course, you’ll have to invest, but based on the potential increase in profitability and share value the investment is likely to be nominal and the return on investment more than acceptable!
So when is the best time to get started?
Come on, what do you expect me to say?? If I was your Business Advisor and didn’t say ‘yesterday’ I wouldn’t be doing my job! But seriously you probably know the answer already – before you waste any more money, lose another sale, carry on working too many hours, lose another team member or endure another sleepless night. Remember, procrastination is the killer of dreams.
Always remember, none of us know what we don’t know and to get to where you want to go, you’ll have to make changes, learn new things and adopt new habits. There is no time like the present – yes, right now!
“The growth of an organisation will be limited by the knowledge and ability of its management and team“